Friday, May 2, 2014

Poppy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day is probably the most stressful day for me when it comes to creating crafts. I know, I know, Mom's love everything their sweet child makes for them - especially when it's got a "Happy Mother's Day" attached to it.......but the project should be more than a bunch of stuff slapped together....I believe that a Mother's Day project should have that special touch to it to make mom swoon and want to show it to everyone she knows and proudly say, "look what my child made for me!"

I remember when I was young and once a year "The Wizard of Oz" would come on tv. My mom would call my sisters and I in to watch it with her. The poppy scene would fascinate me and I think I'd ask her each year how little red, paper like flowers would make them fall asleep. Other than The Wizard of Oz and the Veterans in front of Walmart once a year, I don't think I've ever seen poppies anywhere else.

Last year at Mother's Day my mom was still mourning the loss of her own mother, who went to Heaven the year before. Although I didn't make one of these for her, I made it with her in mind. I really don't know if my mom even likes poppies, I know it's not her favorite flower (that would be Tiger Lily) but when I see them, it reminds me of her and red was my Grandma's favorite color....so that's how this project began to bloom.

Me & My Mom - at my Grandma's memorial service April 2, 2012
(I chose to wear a red top and shoes instead of black...
I even had my hair colored a bright shade of red!)
 
 
So.....here's what they inspired me to make:
 
 
Supplies needed:
Template of "The Red Poppy"
Green & Yellow Tempra Paint
Red Tempra Paint
Paintbrush
Red Tissue Paper or Red Construction Paper
Black construction paper (heavy weight is best)
Black Sharpie
White 8x8 bakery board
White construction paper
Red Ribbon
Scissors
Pencil
Hot Glue/Gun
Yellow and/or Red Rhinestones (shape doesn't matter)
 
 

I like to use Bakery Boards for crafts rather than foam board for my projects. I find mine at Hobby Lobby (in the baking aisle) they come in a variety of sizes and shapes and one side is white, the other brown - makes it perfect for crafting and they come 5-6 to a pack so it's perfect for small groups.
 
Mix the green and yellow tempra paints to create a beautiful light green - using a paintbrush, make 5 lines down the board (they don't need to be perfect!) These will be the stems of the poppies.
Set aside to dry.
 
 
I used the "The Red Poppy" template I found online
Print a copy of the poppy ad centers in small, medium and a large size. Cut out and trace 2 copies each onto white construction paper - only 1 copy of the large size is needed.
 
Paint using the red tempra paint - let dry
 
After dry, glue on red tissue paper or construction paper onto backside of poppy - let dry
 
Cut out poppies. Bend the sides of the poppy leaves in and the tip up - I actually bent the leaves and then "crinkled" them up a bit and it made them look even better.

Using the template for the centers, draw the circle (with the slits) onto the black paper. Using your scissors, cut little slits all around the black circles, one for each of the poppies. Cut as close to the center as you can without cutting into the center. Glue the center down onto the middle of the appropriate poppy. (Be sure to glue ONLY the center!)

Add rhinestone to the black center of the poppy. After glued, gently use your fingertips to "fluff" up the center's slits so that they curl around the rhinestone. Again, the more crinkled up, the better. Just be careful not to tear them!
 
Glue poppies onto the bakery board - starting with the smaller ones on the outside, then the middle, and the large poppy in the center. It's okay if they are a little "crowded" - it makes the board look more full.

Use Sharpie to write "Poppy Mother's Day in a loose script across the stems.

I used a red grosgrain ribbon with black polka dots for the hanger - hot glue the ends onto each top corner, cut in center, and tie a small bow to hang.
 
 
That's it! It's pretty easy to make and it really looks beautiful - a perfect Mother's Day project that is sure to get an "Awe...."  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment